Apply for a Home
Habitat for Humanity is a Christian housing ministry that builds housing financed by private donations and constructed with volunteer labor. Our purpose is to build homes with families and sell the houses at no profit and no interest to families who could not otherwise afford a home.
AT THIS TIME WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS. Call our office at 507-457-0003 to learn about the application process and how you can be notified when we begin accepting application.
Please read the following to see if you meet our general guidelines:
- To qualify, you must have housing need. For example, no indoor plumbing, poor heating, leaks in the roof, overcrowding (three to a bedroom), unsafe or unsanitary conditions.
- You must be unable to obtain a conventional or government-assisted mortgage loan.
- To quality for a Habitat home, your family income should fall between 30% and 60% of the median income for your county.
- We will verify employment and other income, verifying checking and savings balances, current debt, and run a credit check.
- If approved for a Habitat home, you must be willing to attend budgeting, home repair and maintenance classes.
- Each family must contribute a minimum of 300 hours of sweat equity hours by working on their own home before occupancy.
- If approved for a Habitat home, about $1,800 will be needed for a down payment and closing costs (roughly 2% of the anticipated sale price of the home). You will have some time to save this money before closing. $100 of this amount is required prior to the beginning of construction.
- The family must have the ability to make monthly house payments along with their current debt. The total mortgage payment, taxes, insurance and all debt should not be greater than 36% of the total income. (Exceptions may be made on the basis of severe need for a home or other special circumstances.)
If you are approved for a home and you meet the sweat equity, down payment, and other requirements, Habitat for Humanity will sell the home to your family at cost. The house payments will be used by Habitat to build more houses with other people in need. This requires that you make the payments on time.
2015 HUD Income Guidelines (Winona County)
|Family Size||30% Median||50% Median|